2. Check what experience does the lawyer have in your type of legal matter and what percentage of their caseload is dedicated to handling your type of legal problem. If you have a tax issue you would not like to find a lawyer/law firm experienced in criminal cases. Some lawyers or law firms will try to assure you that they can handle your case even though it is not their major specialization. But it is not always true.
3. Ask what are their fees and how they intend to charge you. Professional law firms and lawyers have standard rates for each category of cases and they do not charge taking into account the client’s finances. In addition, make sure that your lawyer offers to you a services agreement describing scope of work, obligations and liabilities of your lawyer, fees, payment conditions and confidentiality obligations.
4. Ask what is their track record of success. They should have a clear mechanism of measuring their success rate and such records should be open to clients.
5. Try to find feedbacks about the lawyer and law firm and check credibility of such feedback. If you find a feedback, try to contact the author of such feedback and ask for their experience in a first hand. Local and international legal guides like HG.org are good sources for getting feedbacks. Almost all reputable law firms and lawyers have presence in such directories.
6. Ask all prospective lawyers how you will be able to contact them and how long it will take them to return your communications. And don’t assume that because the lawyer seems friendly and easy to talk to that it’s okay to overlook this step.
If you have a checkmark in all of the abovementioned points regarding your prospective lawyer, you seem safe in terms of reliability of such lawyer. Make sure you make your own research before you decide on a lawyer.
This article was prepared as a general information by the attorneys of Baku Attorneys & Consultants (BAC), Azerbaijani law firm. BAC is a full service law firm based in Baku and it has a strong team of highly experienced attorneys and consultants, specialized in rendering various expert services to foreign and local clients in Azerbaijan. Please, feel free to reach us via www.batco.az to further discuss your case.