Azerbaijan has banned wedding celebrations and other public events, the authorities said on Friday, a day after it recorded its first death from the coronavirus.
The measures, which come into force on Saturday, also include shuttering museums, cinemas and theaters.
The authorities said the country’s border with Georgia and Turkey would be closed for 10 days and that all large cultural and sporting events would be postponed by a month.
The former Soviet country said on Thursday that a woman who had been quarantined after returning from neighboring Iran had died from the virus.
Schools, universities and kindergartens in the country have been closed since the beginning of March, and the authorities on Thursday extended the closure of the border with Iran for another two weeks.
Azerbaijan has so far recorded 19 cases of the virus according to Reuters.
Cabinet of the Ministers defined measures that are mandatory for implementation not just the authorities also for civilians. The Social İsolation measures are as follows:
- All the events (involving the masses), as well as cultural-sport events are postponed.
- Cinemas, museums and theaters, entertainment centers, sport complexes shall be closed.
- Wedding parties are prohibited.
- Except for the funeral ceremony, all the mourning ceremonies to be held at tents and ceremony houses are prohibited.
- Working hours are till 21:00 for cafes and restaurants and they shall be bound by the guidelines to be announced by the authorities in their work.
- Parties attracting masses are prohibited at cafes and restaurants.
- Clubs and bars shall work till 21:00.
- Malls and shops shall regulate their work in accordance with the the guidelines to be announced by the authorities.
- The work regime of groceries, markets, supermarkets, pharmacies stay as it is.
- Public transportation shall be regulated by the guidelines to be announced by the authorities.
- Visits of relatives for the hospitalized patients are prohibited.
- Travel of government and medical workers overseas is prohibited.
- Business trips shall be limited.
- Special guidelines shall be prepared for the work of private enterprises and banks, as well as review of citizen appeals, making internal meetings and conferences.
The abovementioned rules are in force as of 14th of march 2020 00:00 AM.
This article was prepared as a general information by the attorneys of Baku Attorneys & Consultants (BAC), Azerbaijani law firm. BAC is a full service law firm based in Baku and it has a strong team of highly experienced attorneys and consultants, specialized in rendering various expert services to foreign and local clients in Azerbaijan. Please, feel free to reach us via www.batco.az.