General information and visas
The legal status of foreigners and stateless persons (hereinafter “Foreign Persons”) in the Republic of Azerbaijan Republic is mainly governed by the Migration Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan dated August 01, 2013.
Visas granted to foreigners and stateless persons are divided into entry and transit visas. Depending on the number of entries, entry visas are divided into single entry and multiple entry visas, and transit visas are divided into single transit and double transit visas. Entry visas are divided into diplomatic, service and ordinary visas. Entry visas of diplomatic and service type are issued only to foreigners and stateless persons arriving in the Republic of Azerbaijan for official visit. Entry visas of ordinary type are issued to foreigners and stateless persons arriving in the Republic of Azerbaijan for business, science, education, employment, tourism, culture, sports, humanitarian, medical and private purposes.
VISAS ARE ISSUED BY AZERBAIJANI CONSULATES LOCATED IN THE COUNTRY OF THE RESIDENCE OF THE APPLICANTS. HOWEVER, AS PER THE NEW RULES INTRODUCED RECENTLY, CITIZENS OF MORE THAN 80 COUNTRIES CAN OBTAIN THEIR VISAS ONLINE VIA E-Visa WITHIN 1-3 BUSINESS DAYS (for the list of eligible countries, please check E-Visa countries’ list). Citizens of Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Uzbekistan, Russian Federation, Tajikistan and Ukraine can enter into Azerbaijan without a visa with a stay period of up to 90 days.
*Foreign Persons who wish to enter into Azerbaijan with the plan of establishing a business, must obtain a business visa in case they want to reside and work in Azerbaijan by obtaining a temporary residence permit on the ground of owning or heading a business entity.
Further, the Foreign Persons planning to stay more than 10 days in the Republic of Azerbaijan have to be registered with the State Migration Service of the Republic of Azerbaijan providing certain information on their place of residence.
Temporary residence permit (TRP) in Azerbaijan
Foreign Persons may obtain temporary residence permit on the following grounds:
– they are in close family relationship with a citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
– they invest at least 500,000 (five hundred thousand) manat in the economy of the country;
– they possess real estate worth at least 100.000 (one hundred thousand) manat on the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan or funds in the same amount deposited with the banks of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
– they are highly qualified specialists in the spheres of economy, industry, defense, science, culture, sports, etc.;
– they are the family members of foreigners and stateless persons temporarily or permanently residing on the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
– they hold positions as the head or deputy head in the branch or representation of a foreign legal entity in the Republic of Azerbaijan or the head or deputy head in a local legal entity that has a foreign natural person or legal entity shareholder;
– they engage in entrepreneurship activity in the Republic of Azerbaijan; and;
– they study in universities or vocational educational institutions on a full time basis;
– they are engaged in religious roles in the religious institutions registered with the state; and
– they obtain work permit to carry out paid labor activity on the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan (TRP is issued in parallel when applying for a work permit).
The following documents shall be submitted to the State Migration Service to obtain TRP:
– an application form;
– copy of the passport or other border crossing document (notarized copy of the birth certificate or other equivalent document for the persons under 18);
– notarized or equally certified document confirming existence of cases justifying issuance of temporary residence permit;
– medical check-up documents certifying that the person is not carrier of a virus of any disease included in the list of dangerous infectious diseases;
– copy of the document authorizing to stay or temporarily reside in Azerbaijan;
– a justified application by an authority, enterprise or organization inviting the Foreign Persons who are highly qualified specialists in the spheres of economy, industry, defense, science, culture, sports, etc.;
– two photos sized 3.5 x 4.5 cm;
– the document of a residential area-where the person shall be registered on (extract on the state registration of the property right from state registry of real estate, warrant for accommodation, rent or tenancy agreement or other documents);
– notarized consent and copy of the passport of the person providing a foreigner or stateless person with a residential area (except the cases when there is a residential area in possession of the applicant.
TRP is issued within 20 business days upon submission of relevant documents to the State Migration Service. The state fee for the issuance and extension of the term of temporary residence to Foreign Persons ranges between 30-120 manat depending on the validity period of the TRP and it is paid upon receiving TRP.
TRP can be issued for a period of up to 12 months to be extended up to 2 or 3 years each.
Please, bear in mind that TRP holders must reside in Azerbaijan at least 90 days within any given 180 days after obtaining the TRP. Otherwise, the person’s TRP can be cancelled by the State Migration Service on the ground that the person in fact does not reside in Azerbaijan on a “temporary” basis.
Foreign Persons bearing a TRP for the period of at least 2 years in a row on the grounds i – vi above may apply for permanent residence permit in Azerbaijan. The procedure and the required documents is very similar to TRP. Permit for permanent residence is issued for the period of 5 years to be renewed each time for the period of 5 years.
Azerbaijani law firm Baku Attorneys & Consultants, a team of highly experienced attorneys, is strongly specialized in rendering various expert services to foreign natural persons and legal entities in Azerbaijan, including migration registration and establishment of businesses. Please, feel free to reach us via www.batco.az to further discuss your case and provide a cutting-edge advice to ensure and protect your future presence and business in Azerbaijan.